The “magnet test” is an easy way to determine what type of metal you have.
If the magnet sticks to the metal object, it is steel or iron, referred to as “ferrous metal”. Steel and iron has little value. We encourage you to recycle this material at one of our scrap yards.
Common household items (ferrous)
- Steel – car, cabinets, shelves, chairs
- Iron – decorative items, gates and fending, tools, cast iron pots/pans
If the magnet does not stick to the metal object, it will typically be copper, aluminum, brass, bronze or stainless steel. These metals are referred to as “non-ferrous metal”. You will typically be paid for non-ferrous metals at our yards.
Common household items (non-ferrous):
- Copper – plumbing pipes, air conditioner parts, electrical wire, some roofing materials
- Aluminum – cans, doors, gutters, siding, window frames
- Brass – door handles, bathroom fixtures, light fixtures, keys
- Bronze – pipe valve, musical instruments, decorative items