Recycling scrap metal is an easy matter with Sims Metal.
Here are 5 steps to get more money for your scrap metal while disposing safely and responsibly:
- Identify the metal. Ferrous or Non-Ferrous?This is the first step, try to understand if your scrap metal is a ferrous or non-ferrous metal; if it is a ferrous metal it will contain iron and if it is non-ferrous it will not. You will need a magnet for this step; if the magnet sticks to your scrap, it is likely to be ferrous metal. Note: non-ferrous metals are usually the more profitable ones!
- Clean your metal. Try to remove, wherever it is possible extra attachments on the metal, such us other metals or other materials like plastic, for example. If your scrap metal has other materials attached to it, it may be downgraded.
- Sort your metal by type. If you have different metals, separate them and put them into different containers. If you bring mixed metal to a scrap yard, you may only get paid for the value of the least valuable metal in your container. Your aluminum, copper, iron, steel scrap need to be separated!
- Find a local scrap yard. Look no further for this. Visit our location page to find the closest Sims Metal site to you.
- Ask for a quote. Get in touch with us. Provide us with all the information about you and your scrap by completing the enquiry form.
Pro Tip: To get a more accurate quote, upload as many pictures as possible and provide us with an approximate weight of your scrap metal. The more information you provide us with, the better we can make our service fits your needs. In some instances, for example, you won’t need to come visit our site, but we’ll collect the scrap metal from you!
… And it’s done! Once you get in touch with us we’ll connect with you to answer any questions and provide a quote.
What are you waiting for?
Go grab your magnet!
Download the infographic below as a reminder when scrapping your metal items with us!