As a business division of Sims Limited, we here at Sims Metal are strongly committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion, and increasing the number of women personnel working at Sims Metal is part of our global strategy.
Sims Limited is invested in supporting the women who already work with us in the Sims Metal division by offering internal mentorship programs, like the one launched by Sims Limited, “Women Leading @Sims.”
We want to encourage all women around the globe they can not only work in the metal recycling industry but also perfectly fit in and become incredibly successful.
Jamie Fienan – Director of Transportation, NAM, is one of them. Jamie is new to the metal recycling industry, but she has 30 years of experience in the global container transportation industry, another traditionally male-dominated industry.
We asked what her experience as a woman in male-dominated industries has been, and here is her response:
“As a woman, I always feel confident walking into a room full of men and running with it, including making quick decisions that have a long-lasting impact and explaining the rationale. I think it’s all about believing in yourself. Strive to lead confidently and remain calm in all situations, don’t let anyone intimidate you or make you think you don’t belong. Be where you want to be and believe you deserve it.”Jamie Fienan
Director of Transportation
We asked Jamie to provide us with 10 tips on how to succeed as a woman in a career in the recycling industry:
- Cultivate your ability to decide and be confident
- Think strategically and strategize for success
- Persevere and stick to your guns
- Keep an open mind and be adaptable
- Have an openness to learning new technology systems
- Stop competing and comparing, know what you are worth
- Set good examples for women and men alike
- Step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself
- Promote yourself and do a self-assessment often
- Take a seat at the table and don’t be afraid to speak up even if you’re the only woman in the room
There is no such thing as a woman’s or a man’s job. Gender should not determine your professional opportunities. Sims welcomes more women to work in the metal recycling industry and join Jamie and the other women leaders at Sims. At Sims Metal, we are committed to encouraging and inspiring more women to consider a career in this industry.
If you’re interested in working at Sims Metal, click here.